Suomen metsäkeskus – The Finnish Forest Centre
Suomen metsäkeskus – The Finnish Forest Centre is a governmental forestry organisation covering the whole country. Our task is to enforce the Forest Act and to promote sustainable forestry and forest-based livelihoods.
The Forest Centre operates in two separate units: a Public Service Unit, and a business unit. The business arm operates under the name of Metsäpalvelut – Forest Services.
The Forest Centre operates under the guidance of Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
The Public Service Unit
The Public Service Unit is mainly funded with government funds. Here are the main tasks of the public unit of Finnish Forest Centre:
- To channel government financial support for private forestry. sustainable forest management
- To advise on the financing and management advising of private forestry
- To enforce the implementation of the Forest Act
- To collect and to maintain data of forest resources covering the whole country.
- To promote sustainable forestry, both nationally and regionally.
- To develop and maintain the most comprehensive and up-to-date forestry related e-service Metsään.fi.
Metsäpalvelut – The Forest Services
Metsäpalvelut – The Forest Services serves customers in the following areas:
- Private road construction and rehabilitation
- Peatland management
- Forest planning
- Services for forest road owners
- Seed and plant production